Thursday, February 21, 2013

Whistle While You Work

Mom has always been the type of person to sort of...get lost in her own head. She has such an active imagination that it never really shuts off. For example, as early as I can remember, we've always had to repeat things to her several times because the first time she won't actually be listening. She'll be too lost in thought. But that could happen to anyone, you say, right? Well, another example is that a lot of times Mom will randomly start to laugh to herself. For no reason whatsoever! It's because she thought of something funny or remembered something interesting. It's kinda like...she has whole conversations with herself in her own head. My brother does the same (on a more verbal level). I personally think it has something to do with their A.D.D. but that may be just me. I also think, though, that her imagination is part of why I became so interested in writing. So I can't complain when I have so much to thank it for. Haha.

One example of how she has always been spacey... One day while Mom was in grade school (She's told me this story many times so I'll retell it as best I can. Obviously I wasn't there...) the teacher was rearranging all the students and their desks and she decided to sit sweet little Sara right next to the window. Now she tried to tell the teacher that this wasn't a good idea, but the teacher didn't listen. Little Sara always got in trouble for not paying attention. She'd spend hours upon hours of their class time staring out the window imagining all sorts of adventures. On this particular day, she was imagining herself playing outside. It was a beautiful sunny day and there were all sorts of things she could think to do. Only days prior she'd learned to whistle, so in her imagination she skipped through the grass, whistling away to the birds and the trees and herself. It wasn't until the teacher was right in her face yelling at her that she snapped back to reality and looked up in time to hear the teacher say "Sara! We do not whistle in class!" You can imagine the teacher must have been fuming. Here she's trying to teach a bunch of second graders math or science or something and there goes Sara. Whistling away to herself for all the world to hear!

To this day, Mom will swear she had NO idea she was whistling out loud. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment