Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chair Wars

Of all the cats we've had, only two have been outdoor cats. All the others have lived inside the house with us. For those who don't know, cats have a mind of their own. When they decide something belongs to them, there's no taking it away without a fight. The cat we have now is no different, and the thing she's decided to claim is my mom's favorite chair. Whether someone's sitting in it or not, our cat Mysty will climb up onto the back of the chair and make herself comfortable. That's usually the sign that whoever's occupying it should move before they get whacked in the face by an angrily swishing tail.

Our cat Mysty and me

The other day, Mom decided to be just as stubborn as her cat. I've often held to the belief that pets and their owners tend to share many similarities. This day was the perfect example. Mom took her coffee, like she does every morning, and sat in her favorite chair. I took a seat on the couch beside it to visit with her while she enjoyed her morning. We were in the middle of a conversation about my brother when Mysty decided she wanted in on our little sit down. She jumped up onto the chair and curled up behind Mom's head. Neither were phased. I watched Mysty stare at Mom's ponytail while she sat and talked. When her head moved, the ponytail moved, and Mysty's eyes followed it. I started to get nervous, but finally after several minutes, Mysty relaxed and looked out the window instead. I relaxed too and focused again on the conversation. Another ten minutes passed without event when suddenly movement caught my eye. From behind Mom's head, Mysty slowly raised a paw. The image of Mom raising her hand to swat a mosquito flashed through my mind as I watched. Then, before I could say anything, Mysty swatted Mom's head like a fly. Mom yelped, jumping forward in the chair. Mysty only stared at her, as if daring Mom to return to the chair.

In the end, Mother was victorious over cat when she shooed her away and reclaimed the special spot. But that wasn't the last Mom heard of Mysty's attack. That same day, my brother's English assignment in school was to write a rhyming poem. He wrote the following:

I have a little gray cat
Who sits where my mom sat.
She swats at Mother's head
And takes the chair instead.

1 comment: