Saturday, October 27, 2012

Falling for Fabric

Yesterday, Mom and I were sitting in the craft room talking about the day and the different projects we were working on. My mom is a true crafter! The kind who collect crafts with the famous last words "I'll get to it." Currently she's working on a scarecrow for our harvest themed fall decorations while also putting together pieces for a quilt. She was looking for something to use while putting together a quilt square and asked me to help. She pointed to the small cabinet above the tv. It's high and one of the doors was already partially opened on it's own. "Is anything going to fall on me?" I asked. She said very seriously "I make no promises." And that was the beginning. When I opened the cabinet, things did fall on me! Right on my head. We picked them up and stacked them neatly on the table, then I had to get the step ladder to get high enough to see into the cabinet. Piece by piece I had to pull things out to find what we were looking for. Unfortunately, what we found in the cabinet was something totally different. Because Mom isn't able to get into the cabinet often, she doesn't look in there much. She doesn't mind admitting she had no idea what treasures were hiding up there. But when I started pulling things out, she started discovering things she'd completely forgotten about! Slowly one cabinet turned into another, and that turned into drawers and boxes, and our neat and tidy craft room turned into an explosion of a reorganization project!
Used with special permission.
This is the mess we had in the middle of our reorganization!
It's all clean now. =)
During this reorganizing and rediscovery project, Mom and I started to realize just how many projects she had that either we never started or we never finished. I jokingly looked around the room and laughed "One hundred and one projects in one year!" Of course there was so much stuff everywhere I couldn't imagine how anyone would be able to finish all of these in two or three years, much less one. But Mom shrugged "We could probably do it." I stared at her and she nodded "Sure. There are 365 days in a years and I don't think I have quite 100 projects." I looked around then we both laughed. Without saying anything I knew, we'd both already decided to do it.

As we were pulling things out, we also started discovering a lot of my projects that I'd never finished. By the end of the night I couldn't believe how many there were!! Mom smiled "See? You can't say anything bad about all my stuff. You're exactly the same!" Well, I guess I am. =) So here we go then. 100 projects in 1 year. Needless to say, I don't think we'll be buying many Christmas presents this year. We've got all we need right here!

1 comment: