Friday, October 26, 2012

My brother doesn't pay attention...

Mom, my brother, and I were running errands the other day. The afternoon was hot and my brother was thirsty. In our local grocery store, they sell generic brand sodas for fifty cents at the check out counter. My brother searched until he'd found his favorite, then proudly handed it to the cashier while Mom paid for her own groceries. I looked at the bottle, which wasn't one i recognized, then whispered to him "Are you sure that one is only fifty cents?" He'd said it was and started to dig out some change from his pocket.

While paying, Mom glanced up at the computer that kept track of the total. She said very seriously "Son, that soda is $60.43. Are you sure you have enough?" I looked at my mother bewildered, then down at our full cart of groceries. Before I could say anything, my brother nodded, giving the indignant response of "Yes, mom!" Again I blinked and caught the eye of the cashier, who was trying to hide a smile. I tried to whisper "Mom!" so that she would realize the mistake. When she did, she and I both actually laughed out loud. My brother remained oblivious, and the cashier calmly rang up the soda to fifty-six cents. I commend him for only cracking a smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment