Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Elmer's Not Our Friend!

A story from my mother: I'm very particular with how I place my furniture. Especially in the tv room because there's not much space and it doubles as our craft room. I had a couch that faced the tv and two chairs facing towards the couch so that people could actually have a conversation. I wanted to teach my girls that the tv was not the center of the space, but that what was important was the people with you. But every time I came into the room, the girls would have rearrange all the furniture so that everything faced the television. I kept fussing at them about it because I'd move everything back and the next day it'd all be moved again. I've give them another lecture and the next day it'd happen again. The girls never listened. It was my four year old little son who was paying attention to my lectures. And he wasn't even the one doing it.

I guess I'd fussed at them enough that for a while the chairs weren't moved. The next week, after a blissful seven days of my furniture staying as it should, I was vacuuming the tv room. I went to move the chairs to vacuum beneath them and I couldn't move them. I thought maybe they must have been heavier than I remembered so I asked my oldest daughter to help me move the chairs. I got on one side and she on the other and we lifted. Up came the chair...and the carpet!! All four legs of the chair were stuck to the carpet!! I got down on the floor and found, to my horror, that under all four legs of each chair someone had put large quantities of Elmer's glue!

I look at my girls, who immediately gave indignant response of how they'd never do such a ridiculous thing. Then my son piped up, all proud of himself. "I did it, Mommy!" I looked at him, bewildered, and demanded to know why. He explained with a smile "So they can't move the chairs anymore."

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so funny! Although I would not be laughing if I found all that glue on my carpet! I love how you are teaching your children that the TV shouldn't be the center of attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is sooo absolutely funny!! What a great helper your son is!! LOL Hopped over from Esthers Laugh With Us Blog!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! How funny! And really, how smart of the little guy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! What a smart little boy he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That was so funny! What a sweetie! As a mom of three boys I can certainly appreciate the humor in that!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete