Monday, October 29, 2012

Repeating Myself

About a month ago, after church one afternoon I walked into my parents' room. My mom had the flu and was lying in bed. She was lonely so I sat and talked with her for a while. I shared the news from church and she told me about which new book she was reading. She'd told me the story of this book every day for the last week, along with the tv show it reminded her of and a story she'd thought up with similar characters. This was about the tenth time I'd heard it in that week alone. Not meaning to be rude, I smiled gently and interrupted the speech I could quote by heart. "You told me this before, Mom. You're repeating yourself." She stopped and looked at me with some amount of surprise, as if she hadn't realized. "Well," she finally answered. "if I don't repeat myself I wouldn't have much to say!"

Last night, Mom and I were in her room again after church. A commercial came on TV that for some reason reminded me of one of my favorite fun facts. "Did you know!" I piped up. "In Japan, you can be fired if you're overweight!" Mom turned to look at me and with an impish grin answered "Yes, dear. You've told us many times. You're repeating yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment